What We Offer
Through our after school programs and summer camps, Boys & Girls Clubs offer young people what they need and want most:
- adults who respect and listen to them;
- a safe environment where they can have fun and be themselves; and
- interesting, constructive activities that channel their energy into challenging pursuits.
All Boys & Girls Clubs programs are based on youth development strategies that build self confidence and self-esteem to foster a sense of belonging, competence, usefulness and influence.
The After School Program
Throughout southwest Virginia, children ages 5 to 18 benefit from our successful after school program. By providing a safe environment and an encouraging, professional staff, we prove year after year that “great futures start here.”
Some of the highlights of our after school program include:
- An opportunity for tutoring from staff, volunteers, and in some cases, certified teachers
- Educational programming
- Recreational activities
- Opportunities to learn and participate in the arts
- A snack provided each afternoon
The Summer Camp Program
The Roanoke Valley and New River Valley Clubs offer a full-day summer camp Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. from late June-early August each year. Summer camp participants enjoy field trips, weekly themed-programming, and much more.
The Roanoke Valley Summer Camp is held at 9th Street. The New River Valley camps are held at Christiansburg Middle School and Shawsville Middle School.
For more information on summer camp, contact the Roanoke Valley or New River Valley Club offices.
In a recent survey of Boys & Girls Clubs of America alumni, approximately 60% of those polled said the Club was the only place to go in their neighborhood after school.